The forum, titled ‘Naloxone: Preventing Harms and Reducing Trauma’, has been developed in response to the increasing international and national evidence on interventions for opioid overdose, and as a result of a recent VAADA AOD workforce survey which found that service users who experience or witness an overdose often suffer traumatic outcomes. The forum is also timely due to the Victorian state government recently making a commitment to exploring a Naloxone program within the whole of government AOD strategy.
Tea and coffee on arrival, with lunch to be provided.
Please RSVP your attendance at:https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/VAADA_Naloxone_Forum
The forum will include presentations regarding policy, research, program delivery, consumer and family perspectives and trauma informed interventions. There will be ample time for questions to consider the range of opportunities and challenges.
Forum presenters include:
· Judith Abbott (Victorian Department of Health) to provide an overview of the Whole of State Government approach
· Paul Dietze (Burnet Institute) to identify research activity and the evidence base, including importance of contextualising program models for Victoria
· Carrie Fowlie (Alcohol Tobacco and Other Drug Association ACT - ATODA) to highlight experiences from the ACT Naloxone program, including opportunities and challenges that need to be considered in other jurisdictions
· Patrick Griffiths (Anex) to outline the background for policy development in Victoria and how consultations have informed the approach
· Jane Dicka (Harm Reduction Victoria) to communicate key consumer perspectives on trauma associated with overdose and consumer roles in proposed models of delivery
· Tony Trimingham (Family Drug Support) to explore impacts of overdose on families and communities, with views on relevant interventions and program delivery
· Donna Zander (Post Trauma Victoria) to consider overdose, trauma and the impact that this has on people accessing the AOD service system
Monday 17 June 2013 10:00 – Monday 17 June 2013 14:00
Jasper Hotel (Adjacent to the Queen Victoria Market)
489 Elizabeth Street
Please contact Anna Guthrie to register your interest: